Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are at the core of the E.E. Ward Moving & Storage mission and value system. As the oldest African American owned business in the country, we understand the importance of having a diverse team, in order to serve a diverse community. We believe that in order to best execute our responsibilities and deliver excellent service to our customers, that our team must be assembled from the best and the brightest of a wide range of backgrounds and cultures – one that reflects our nation as a whole.
John T. Ward served as a conductor on the underground railroad. After the abolishment of slavery, John T. and his son William S. Ward founded the Ward Storage & Transfer Co in 1881 in Columbus, Ohio. Fourteen decades later, E.E. Ward is now one of the most respected moving companies in the industry with an impeccable reputation of excellence, as well as a robust track record for community service within Columbus, OH and Charlotte, NC. None of this would have been possible without the history that lies behind the mission of the company, as well as the diverse team that has always made up its employees.
Committed to Diverse Success
E.E. Ward is a Certified MBE with the National Minority Supplier Development Council for over 15 years, and has been recognized in the following awards centered around customer service excellence, community, and ethics:
- 2020 International BBB – Torch Award for Ethics (Finalist)
- 2019 Global Network Commitment to Global Excellence Award (Cartus Corporation)
- 2019 Pillar Award for Community Service (Medical Mutual and Smart Business)
- 2019 North American Van Lines Power of Blue Team of the Year
- 2018 & 2012 Torch Award for Ethics (BBB of Ventral Ohio)
- 2017 Moving & Storage Agent of the Year Service Excellence Award (American Moving & Storage Association)
- 2017 & 2010 MBE Supplier of the Year Award (Ohio Minority Supplier Development Council)
- 2017 Outstanding Diverse Organization Award (Columbus Business First)
- 2016 Corporate Caring Human Services Award (Columbus Business First)
- 2015 North American Van Lines Driver of the Year (Driver Jason Carpenter)
Our commitment to strengthening the legacy of our company is entirely dependent on the diversity and inclusivity of our team, management, and community. We are immensely proud to be the oldest black-owned business in the United States, and intend to be for many years to come.