Your Moving Checklist
Whether you hired movers or you’re moving, the to-do list can seem overwhelming. Our friends over at 1-800-Pack-Rat sent us a checklist of things to do in the months leading up to your move. Print this list off and put it on your fridge so you can read over it every now and then to make sure you don’t forget anything!
E.E. Ward Moving and Storage offers both Pack-Rat and full-service moving whether you’re moving across Columbus or across the country. We would love to help you with your move in any way we can.
At least 3 months before moving day:
- Schedule your date with a moving company.
- Go through the basement, attic, shed, and garage. Have a yard sale for things you don’t need or want to take. Note: if you donate items to a charity, ask for a tax receipt.
- Talk to the vet for tips on traveling with your pets. Ask about shots or paperwork they may need.
- Start a file for moving receipts.
2 months before moving day:
- Did you know you can now change your address with the U.S. Postal Service online? Click here to see the page.
- Notify your bank, credit card companies, magazine subscriptions, and other businesses about your move.
- Make a file for papers you’ll need during the move, such as school, dental, and medical records; contracts with movers and other service providers; agreements with new utility companies, your new housing information, etc.
6 weeks before moving day:
- Start using up things that you can’t move easily, like frozen foods or bleach.
- Collect boxes and other moving materials. 1-800-PACK-RAT has a wide range of boxes and supplies.
1 month before moving day:
- Set aside the clothes and toiletries you’ll need until you’re unpacked at your new address.
- Disassemble garden furniture, grills, and sports or pool equipment.
- Make sure the utilities are scheduled to go on at your new location.
- Return library books or other borrowed items, and pick up any dry cleaning.
- Close your safe deposit box.
- Give away plants you’re not taking.
- Refill enough prescriptions to carry you through the move.
1 week before moving day:
- Defrost the fridge and/or freezer.
- Empty gas tanks on lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and other power tools.
- Arrange for childcare, if you have little ones.
Remember, 1-800-PACK-RAT can make this your best move ever! We’ll bring our portable, secure storage units to your location on your schedule. Currently, we serve 115 million people in 62 markets nationwide and we’re still growing, because we offer the simplest and easiest way to move your stuff!