Hire Movers or DIY? Pros and Cons of Each
Moving can be a stressful event that can take up a lot of time and energy depending on how you go about doing it. Your unique situation, the size and scope of your move, and whether or not you hire a moving company will likely determine the amount of stress that you feel. Today we will answer the question: hire movers or DIY by breaking both options down into a pro/con list.
- Do all of your moving in one load/unload trip
- Relieve yourself of heavy lifting
- Companies that offer professional packing services can usually pack much faster than customers can on their own
- Item protection with proper moving equipment such as blankets and dollies
- Might be more expensive
- Risk of hiring a “rogue” moving company (see customer reviews, awards, and BBB rating for any company you might hire)
DIY (Do It Yourself)
- You might save money
- You can move on your own time/schedule or perhaps at a more leisurely pace
- You can turn it into a celebration by having friends or family members help
- You could risk hurting yourself by not lifting properly/lifting too much, or by not having enough help with heavy objects
- You could risk damaging furniture and other belongings by bumping into walls or packing the car/rental truck incorrectly
- You need to spend money on packing supplies and a truck rental, which may not end of saving you much in the long run.
Whatever you should decide, E.E. Ward can be of service. We are a full-service moving company but we also offer moving resources and materials for those who decide to more on their own. If you’re wondering if you should hire movers or DIY, we hope that you will contact us to help you with your decision.