Every year, February 14th is a day filled with love all over the world. Now associated with pink and red hearts, boxes of chocolate, and giant stuffed teddy bears, Valentine’s Day wasn’t always celebrated in this manner. Stemming from an ancient Roman festival, Lupercalia was a festival celebrating fertility which then turned into St. Valentine’s day. Whether you plan a romantic night with your significant other or choose to rush to the store tomorrow when all the chocolate is half-price, here are some interesting facts you may not know about today’s holiday, Valentine’s Day!
1. 189 million stems of roses are sold in the U.S. on Valentine’s Day
2. 220,000 proposals is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day, every year!
3. More than 50 percent of all Valentine’s Day cards are purchased within the six days leading up to the holiday, making it a procrastinator’s bliss.
4. Over 1 billion dollars worth of chocolate is purchased in celebration.
5. 15 percent of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s Day.
6. Those who are single on Valentine’s Day have made their own version of the holiday; SAD, or Single’s Awareness Day!
7. The first Valentine’s Day box of chocolates was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868.
8. Shakespeare’s play, Romeo and Juliet takes place in Verona, and every year thousands of Valentine’s Day cards are sent to Verona addressed to Juliet.
9. Teachers receive the most number of Valentine’s Day cards.
10. Back in the 1800s, eating chocolate was used as a cure to calm patient’s pining for lost love.
From all of us here at E.E. Ward Moving & Storage, we hope you have a wonderful Valentine’s Day!