It’s that time of year when the sun begins to shine and the flowers start to bloom, putting everyone in a much better mood. But there always seems to one thing standing in the way of enjoying that sunshine: spring cleaning. It’s just something everyone has to deal with and if you skip it, the rest of the year your house will feel, well, less than it’s best. So here are some of the best shortcuts to make it go faster and be less miserable!
1. Carpeting and Rug Shortcut: Target needy areas—high-traffic zones and stains that have been bugging you forever. Give the rest a quick (but still substantial) once-over.
2. Windows: Focus on the exterior, where the most dirt builds up, and don’t sweat the detail work. For best results, choose a wind-free, overcast day. (Gusts will cause you to get sprayed; sunlight can leave streaks.)
3. Curtains: You can steam most fabrics, from velvet to silk, to revive them and knock out odors.
4. Mattresses: Refresh a mattress with baking soda while its cover gets a thorough washing, followed by a tennis-ball tumble or a dose of fresh air.
5. Upholstery: Hit every inch of the frame and the cushions with a hand vac. Swipe clean to finish.